Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I Guess It's Time...

to take down the Christmas decorations. It is kind of a sad time for me. I just love Christmas time, although I do like the feeling of cleaning things up. I would love to leave my Nativity scenes up all year, but Benjy and my Mother tell me that I can't. I can't help but feel so much peace when I find myself gazing into the scenes. I can sit and stare at them for a long time.

Growing up my Mom did most (all the shopping) however since my dad retired and he has started a tradition of picking out some gifts himself. I remember growing up he would always take us Christmas Eve Day... to try to find things for my mom. Let's just say she got some very handy and practical gifts sometimes. Recently my dad has become very thoughtful. My favorite gifts he has started giving me...probably because I am the only girl and he usually gets my brothers collectible items that I am not into, so he started with this Nativity...
it remains my largest one.
He got my smallest one at an auction. It is sooooo cute. It sits in my kitchen window.
JoDell picked this one up on clearance a couple of years ago. I love the way it matches my curtains. My visiting teacher, Donna, brought me this poinsettia for Christmas.
This one is the newest one in my collection. I got it this year. It is absolutely beautiful!
This one I got two years ago. It is so peaceful looking!
The Willow Tree one I got last year and I have to say, I really like this one a lot! I often ask Benjy and the girls which one they like the most.... no one can ever decide. So I know it isn't just me. I love them all and I will say goodbye to them until next year!
My dad has started teasing Benjy that next year he is going to get me the largest Nativity he can find, since Benjy grumbles to him about storage and getting them all out! ;-)

8 comments:

The Miller Family said...

I second your love of the nativity scene, although I only have one...boo!

I've seen the Willow Tree one before, and love it! Something about the simplicity of the figures adds to the peacefulness of the nativity.

Samantha Hussong said...

Your dad is really a great person. I love spending time with your parents. Is everyone feeling betting in your house? Also just to let you know I went and got New Moon on audio to listen to while I am working so eventually I will get it done.

Andie said...

Sniff, sniff....I am always sad to put away the Christmas things too. Your nativities are beautiful; I loved that stained glass one especially.

Kathy Koch said...

Benjy better beware because Dad is already on the hunt for a large nativity scene for you. They are all beautiful and he does enjoy picking them out and he too just loved the tiny pewter one.
They will just be that much more special when you get them out next year.
I finally got all my stuff down and Dad put them in the loft of the red shed now it looks so bare in here but it is cleaner....

Danny and Shalayne said...

I just took ours down last night...so sad! I love have the christmas tree lights on all the time...it just adds such a cozy glow to any home!

shantel said...

Good I'm not the only one getting the rest of my Christmas stuff down :) I agree the nativity is mine and also my girls favorite too, they loved to play with ours, but it's glass, so my mom got them a little one that we set out, but they also can play with it too!!

Ashton & Co. said...

So many new posts! Looks like you had a great time over the Holidays (minus the sicknesses. I hope you are all feeling better!) Nice collections of nativities. Your blog is so great! Thanks for the Christmas card, too. What a cute family you are!

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

What a great collection. They are lovely. My sister collects them, too. She stopped at 50, I think. You can collect oodles more. Of course, Bengy will love that!