Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Another Birthday Update on Kaydree...

Kaydree says she has been tortured waiting to open her gift from Grandpa and Grandma Koch.
She was so excited for Under Armour, toe socks and a magic scarf.
My poor little peanut. This is not starting out to be such a great Birthday, but she is being a trooper about it. She is sitting home sick from school today after a determined trip on the bus only to find her dad standing inside the school doors to bring her home. As Kaydree walked up to him, she knew, "I'm positive, oh....man!!!!"

Kaydree had strep over Christmas, took 10 days of antibiotic only to wake up with and ear ache on Sunday and a sore throat yesterday. I sent her to school yesterday because she wasn't running a fever and I thought I would just call the doctor to get another course of antibiotics. Of course they wanted to re-swab her, so I pulled her out of school early for their only appointment yesterday. Since she already tested positive on a rapid strep (2 weeks ago to the day) they had to do an over night culture to be sure it was a live strain. They told me they would call me at 8:00am if the test was positive yet they gave her another course of antibioitics yesterday to start. She has had 3 doses starting yesterday.

I started calling the clinic this morning at 8...no answer, 8:15 no answer, 8:20 no answer... Kaydree really wanted to go today, because it's her birthday, so Benjy said he would just drive to the clinic to get the results. He told me, "just send her on the bus and if she is positive we will go pick her up." (As a parent I would be sooooo mad at other parent's that would do this! If it wasn't her birthday...we wouldn't have even considered it! Looking back now... I shouldn't have gone against my better judgement!) Kaydree was saying she felt fine, she wasn't running a fever, she had 3 new doses of antibiotics, they hadn't called me with a positive test, she had just gotten off 10 days of antibiotic...she can't be contagious anymore, right? so I sent her..

Benjy was at the clinic for 30 minutes because the weren't answering their phones and after a fire drill and a broken water pipe with water leaking all over the clinic he calls me and says, "There are no nurses here to read the results, because of the water break." Then about 5 minutes later he calls and says, " I am going to go pick her up...she is positive again or still????" I don't know. The doctor is now wondering if she might be a carrier? Kaydree missed her Christmas party last year at school because of strep, the second day of school and now her Birthday, all because of strep throat! Benjy use to get strep all the time until he got his tonsils out...I wonder what will be next for Kaydree????

Here is my dilemma..I am glad she will be on antibiotics again so that all of our family coming in for the baptism will not have to worry about her being contagious, however we wanted to pull her out of school to hang out with her Grandpa and Grandma Villarreal on Friday. They haven't been here in over 2 and 1/2 years and it will be the only day to hang out with them while they are here. They fly in Thursday night...Friday (suppose to be a fun day) Saturday: baptism and Sunday: church (3 hours and a night training) and they leave on Monday morning. So do we still pull her out for Friday, knowing she missed a 1/2 day yesterday and a full day today????? The teacher in me says, "NO" but the mother in me says, "Yes."

15 comments:

Crystal said...

I'm so sorry that she has had so much trauma with strep, that stinks! I would definitely take her out of school on Friday. Being with those you love is more important than learning something you could teach her in 1 hour at home. But you are the mom and get paid the big bucks to make the decisions.

Serena said...

Happy Birthday Kaydree!! Sorry you have strep again. We hope you have a great day!!

shantel said...

YES, let her stay home in the grand scheme of things is it really going to matter if she misses that one day??? I'm sorry you guys can't kick the strep bug... :(

Nicole said...

Listen to the mom in you! and the teacher in you can always help her get caught up! plus life is too short to miss the precious moments! love you guys!

Life with Mark and Kristin said...

Sorry Kaydree is sick again. Kathryn is considered a carrier as well. On the positive side, if they determine that, she won't be taking so many antibiotics.

Audrey said...

Let her stay home on friday! She is smart enough, she don't need no stinkin' school!

Andie said...

You just tell the school where to stick it if they give you one little bit of crap for letting her stay home.

I guess it will always be a birthday to remember! :)

Danny and Shalayne said...

Kris...first off, I used to get strep all the time until my Mom finally told the Dr. she thought we should get my tonsils out b/c they don't like to recommend it anymore. I got my tonsils out when I was 13 and I've have not had strep once since then!!!
About Kaydree and school...I would definitely keep her home on Friday to play with grandma and grandpa. Memories are more important and will stay in her mind forever in my opinion!

MOE said...

easy solution. How important is elementary education anyway? Just pull her out on friday. I know mom and dad have been looking forward to spending time with you all.

Samantha Hussong said...

Poor Kaydree:( Being sick on your birthday can not be any fun. Since she is sick on her birthday you definately need to let her stay home on Friday. Pretty sure you missed school for such things and you turned out fine. Give Kaydree an extra squeeze for us. I am so glad Bella is finally feeling good since being sick the whole christmas break. Make sure you make her her favorite meal tonight! Love Sam

Samantha Hussong said...

Oh yeah I like the shirt! Imagine that under armour from grandpa?

Kathy Koch said...

I cannot believe this is even a question of course she stays home with her Grandpa and Grandma V...
She is one smart cookie and I know she will have all your support to get caught up on anything she might miss.
Have a great birthday and enjoy your time with your grandparents life is to short to miss those opportunities

Janice Anderson said...

Go with the mother part of you.

photogirl said...

I never kept my kids home from school for fun stuff and regret it now. Keep her home and enjoy her. My oldest did the repetitive strep thing too, so I understand the frustration. happy Birthday Kaydree!

The Seaman Family said...

Happy Happy Birthday Kaydree! Hope you have a fun time tonight!
~I'd take her out on Friday:)