Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Great Movie on Marriage and Faith.

My friend Andrea blogged about going to see this movie and highly recommended it to others. I am not a huge Kirk Cameron fan, so I wasn't going to it in order to see him, trust me! We went last night to the $3 movie theater in Maple Grove. Benjy saw the firefighter uniform and thought it was about firefighters, so he was in. I didn't tell him anything about it because I watched the trailer and really wanted to see it but after recommending it to others, someone told Andrea that they didn't really care for it. I wanted Benjy's opinion without knowing any of this just to see what he would think without basing it off an other's opinion. We laughed, I cried, Benjy said, "That is really sad in parts." This is what he said, "You tricked me. I thought that was going to be a movie about firefighting, like Back Draft...but I loved it. I want to buy a copy for each of my brothers and their wives, how could anyone not love that movie, it is funny, it is sad and it teaches you so much!" (sometimes the acting was a little cheesy but the message was so awesome you have to overlook that!)
My thoughts:
You need to be very comfortable with your faith and your commitment to trusting in the Lord with all your heart and in your spouse. If you don't consider yourself a religious person (whatever that means) you may be uncomfortable in this movie. It is a Christian Movie....You know when you start to talk about religion with some people and they just completely get uncomfortable....well this movie is dedicated to expressing the need to have God in your marriage and to learn that marriage is more about showing love rather then trying to find short comings in your spouse. It teaches that loving is more about giving rather than on how your spouse isn't showing you enough love or respect or in the right ways. It is a movie that teaches you how to love your spouse through the tough times and asking God to be there every step of the way and that there shouldn't be any other way. It describes marriage as a covenant between God and two people rather than just a contract until things get tough.
It was amazing! We left that movie feeling grateful for the love that we share and recharged on ways to show love for one another....awesome awesome awesome date night! Benjy says, "and comforting to know that others have been through fires and rough spots in their marriage, as most have... and that there are ways to grow deeper in love with each other during those times." Of course I am going to say, even if you don't consider yourself a religious person...you should still go see this movie! Okay..and Benjy says, "and if your not married you should still go see what marriage is sometimes going to be like and realize that it is an amazing process!"

7 comments:

Andie said...

Oh, oh, oh, I am so glad you both loved it! (I'm always nervous recommending something so passionately just in case someone hates it)!

I felt exactly the same way after seeing it....that I wanted to share it with everyone I know. Love that movie!

Crystal said...

I'll have to find out how to see it. It sounds interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Sarah said...

I've never even heard of that movie, but now we are going to have to rent it. Great review!!!

Korbi said...

I've never even heard of it????

Anonymous said...

Joe & I went to it on Mag's recommendation. There were 2 older couples in front of us and during the first heated scene in the kitchen, one guy says loudly "Hey, you told me this was a damn firefighter movie"

Kathy Koch said...

Sounds like a good movie and that you both enjoyed it very much.

What a great way to spend a date night.

We will have to buy it when it comes out on DVD

shantel said...

I'm excited for it to come out on DVD!! I'm glad you and Benjy enjoyed it!!