Friday, December 12, 2008

Facing My Fears....

I love subbing at the High Schools, however I find myself steering clear of Math and Science positions. I get completely intimidated by those classes. I got very good grades in these areas, but I feel like it has been so long since I have had any experience in these areas, that I fear them. I took a 1/2 day position at Anoka High School teaching Chemistry. Ugh...I wanted to find a video, note taking or worksheet type of a day.....NOPE...I walk in to find a full out lab day with candles and all! Can we say, PANIC SET IN!
In Seventh Grade, Ms. Trexel had us working with bunson (sp?) burners, we sat at high round tables. Our whole table was having trouble lighting our burners with those flint clicking type things... so Ms. Trexel took out her matches and tried to light one. There was a leak in the main gas line under our table so the entire table went up in flames along with our teacher's eyebrows and bangs! She screamed, "Get out of the lab, Get out of the lab!" My friend Carly went running into the classroom next door and yelled something like, "There is a FIRE in the Lab, Ms. TREXEL is on FIRE!" (Which she wasn't and it was a quick burst and then the flames went out) It was however a very traumatic time for me! I don't know why, but I didn't have my shoes on, so another student carried me out on his back, in the snow! Ah...what memories. Ms. Trexel was gone for a week or so in order to recover! (Good excuse to use sick pay? I don't know?)


You can imagine the images I was having just thinking about all of these High School Students, which I am responsible for.....lighting candles in a Chemistry Lab! Needless to say, all went well, and I feel a little more adventurous in the area of Science!

7 comments:

stephanie said...

Oh my Goodness! That story is hilarious!LOL I can certainly see why you shyed away from subbing in that area :-) No fires for you today! Or was it yesterday? Anyways..thanks for a good laugh:-)

The Seaman Family said...

That is so funny and of course a little scary. Hope today goes well for you. Enjoy your Friday!!

Andie said...

How come you had no shoes?!?

shantel said...

As I was reading I thought, "man she has a good memory" but as the story went on I could see why you remembered that DAY!!! It sounds like after subbing today you still have your eyebrows and bangs!!

Brenda said...

LOL funny, I would actually be afraid of the opposite classes as you but glad it worked out for you!

Kathy Koch said...

I did not even remember that traumatic event Of course I was not the one watching a teacher catch fire...
I am glad all went well today and now you have overcome your fears I suppose you will be requesting those classes to sub in.....

Sarah said...

That would probably freak me out too- that's exactly why I taught elementary school- no bunsen burners there!