Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Christmas With My Dad's Side of the Family.

My dad's side of the family seems rather small compared to my mom's family.
Al, My Dad and Stan with their wives: Eve, My Mom and Deb.
The Koch Grandchildren. Steve, Shawn, Spencer, Dawn and Myself. (Nikki not pictured)
The Koch Great Grandchildren with Stan, Deb and the dogs. In the past Deb and Stan have gotten our little ones the cutest shirts, vest, Jean Jackets, dresses...you name it. This year they all got pajamas and they were a hit, of course! The little ones couldn't wait to change. The teenage or almost teenage girls were a little shy about changing into their pajamas for the picture...must be the age?
Deb and Stan opening their gifts. Stan and Deb are very special people in my life. When I was fourteen Spencer and I got the opportunity to live with them. WE moved to Brighton, Colorado when I was 5. We lived there until I was 14 when my dad got a promotion back to Minnesota, so when I came home from school on Monday, he told us that we were getting on a plane the next day to Minnesota and that we were going to live with Stan and Deb. My dad wanted us to start school in Marshall, since it was the beginning of the school year. My parents stayed in Colorado to sell the house and pack things up. In the beginning I had a really hard time saying goodbye to my friends and the only life I had known. Stan and Deb took us in (which I am sure was a shock for them) and loved us like we were their children! They put up with my hormonal teenage mood swings, bitterness about moving, struggles with being the new kid in town and with us missing our parents...all at the same time, oh yeah.. and a messy bathroom. I believe we lived with them for a little over a month all I know is that we had some great times, we laughed, we cried and we even disagreed sometimes. ;-) What I do know is that if it weren't for them, I wouldn't be the person I am today. They helped me and loved me through one of the toughest times in my life. It makes me realize how blessed we are to be loved by family who are willing to make sacrifices in order to take care of one another. "It takes a Village to Raise a Child!"
Dawn and I had fun comparing our "Koch Wrinkles." My Grandma Gloria was a pretty woman and yet she had very deep and noticeable wrinkles. I usually look at my dad and can see my wrinkles forming in the same places as his. It was nice to hear that Dawn, who is a year younger than me, and does facial skin care for a living...struggles with the same aging nuisance. I know I look tough in this picture. I still wasn't feeling well and I ate crackers while everyone else enjoyed a nacho/potato bar. I thought this would be the first Christmas that I didn't gain any weight, nope....3 pounds....even without eating for two of the days!

3 comments:

Kathy Koch said...

What a nice post and I am glad you were able to thank Stan and Deb because I am sure we just took things for granted that family would be there to help us out at that time when we were trying to do what we thought was best for our kids so I too say what a great job they did. I remember her telling me one day how upset she felt when we took their kids away. I bet you two and Steve because he also spent alot of time over there turned their house upside down. There again what great memories....

shantel said...

OOOh... you have such a great strong family.... Who knows maybe next Christmas you might have a larger Christms party, with the finding of your long lost family :)

Sarah said...

I'm so sorry that you guys all got sick. Jon and I got the flu on Christmas day, but at least we didn't start feeling sick until after everything was over. I hope that everyone is feeling better and that you are enjoying the last few days of the break!