Wednesday, March 25, 2009

A Call for Volunteers.

Last night Benjy recieved a call to meet with our Bishop in order to coordinate efforts to find volunteers that could leave at 5am this morning and return tonight at 10pm. The people of Grand Forks are pleading for volunteers to come help with the sand bagging efforts. They are hoping the colder weather over the next few days will slow the melting snow and delay the flooding.
This is a picture from the Grand Forks area and the flooding they had in 1997.
My heart just goes out to them. I am regretting not finding a place for Karsyn to go to today and that I didn't just jump in that vehicle and go! I guess I came up with excuses why I couldn't go, who would get Kaydree off the bus, who would watch Karsyn? We have a Primary Activity tonight. Yet, these people are trying to save their homes again! We had flooding in Marshall in 1993. I remember we got a call in the middle of the night and someone told my mom, "the water is coming. It has filled our basement, it's running in our basement windows." Those people just lived a block from us. It was such a scary and helpless feeling. We were lucky, our house kind of sat up a little higher, but the river ran right through our backyard. My brothers took a motor boat right down the street and yet we didn't have anything compared to what these people and the people in Iowa went through last year! My prayers go out to these people, I am feeling regret that my abble body isn't shoveling or tossing sand today. :-(

7 comments:

Serena said...

I didn't even know they were asking for volunteers. I would have been willing to help.

shantel said...

WOW!! I really need to watch the news, my Dad called today to make sure we weren't in any danger of flooding?? I didn't even know what he was talking about.... Sad :(

Kathy Koch said...

I remember the flood in 1993 and also in 1957 when the water was all the way to the door coming up into Grandmas basement. It is so sad and such devastation to so many people.
Your heart was in the right place and hopefully the flooding will slow down as the temperatures have fallen.

Unknown said...

Wow! I feel so sad for these people. I'm glad that benjy was able to go and help. I can only imagine how hard that will be specially when there are children to take care.

Luann said...

Prayers lifted to the citizens I wish I was closer to help

Becki D said...

Remember when we sand bagged in college. I'm so glad we were able to help. I think of that time often this time of year because I work very close to where we worked.

Ashton & Co. said...

SO many posts to catch up on! I love looking at your blog!

Those pics of the floods are insane. How sad.