Tuesday, October 7, 2008

At a Loss for Words and a Loss...

I was at a loss for words yesterday when I was a guest teacher at Coon Rapids High School in their music department. I know... funny huh? Some of you know, I can not sing. I can not carry a tune or hit the right note for the life of me. I was the only child in Middle School to drop out of Choir per the teacher's request. She actually told my parents that I just could not sing.
Back on track to why I was at a loss for words... the Concert Choir was amazing. They had a performance last night at Bethel College that they were rehearsing for and as a Guest Teacher I was fortunate enough to get paid to listen to them perform. They sang three songs, The Gypsy Life, Ave Maria and Gloria. I was actually fighting back the tears only out of fear that they would think I was a Crazy Lady. The hairs on my arms and the back of my neck stood up! At a loss for words but something along the lines of it was so beautiful, breath taking, unbelievable, incredible and again, Amazing! What talented and respectful youth and once again, I felt like I should have purchased a ticket to hear such talent!

We had a loss in the family. Benjy cleaned the fish tank and I woke up yesterday morning to find 5 belly up guppies. I tapped the tank to see if they were just sleeping, I know desperate for hope, but nope... they were dead as doornails. I tried to hide the little tank so Kaydree wouldn't see them before school. So last night we broke the news to her, she got a little teary eyed and then Karsyn told Kaydree that she would share her beta fish, Blueberry, with her. Of course Benjy out of feeling somewhat bad and his way of dealing with things used humor! He actually asked Kaydree, who was still fighting back the tears, if she would like a tuna fish sandwich made out of guppies. She of course was completely grossed out, and really fighting back tears and now half laughing at the same time. So in one last attempt to make Kaydree laugh and out of remembrance of the guppies Benjy actually made a tuna fish sandwich with tuna instead!

12 comments:

photogirl said...

You are doing an amazing job journaling your family....and by the way, if losing a few guppies fees sad, imagine losing ALL the koi in my pond...more than once. I feel the girls pain. Kathy

Kristen said...

Yes Kathy...but our guppies were free from a school science project, so I imagine you really know what she is going through.... BTW: Your pond is amazing!

Kathy Koch said...

So sorry to hear about your guppies Kaydree. Tuna fish sandwiches may be on your what not to eat list for awhile but thankfully you do have a wonderful dad with a sense of humor.

stephanie said...

Um...music class?! Remember we took that one El Ed music class at UWRF together!!!Oh the Good Times!!

Andie said...

Nolan brought home those blasted guppies in first grade and we couldn't kill them for the life of us. They lived and lived forever....Nolan never, and I literally mean NEVER, changed the water or fed them and Ryan was so sick of Nolan's stinky bedroom that we had to release them into the Mississippi.

Benjy must have the magic touch to be able to kill them so readily! ;-)

Kristen said...

You know today I was sharing our guppie story at lunch and someone said, "Why didn't you just go to Wal-Mart and buy some guppies before Kaydree got home?" Duh... why didn't I think of that???? Poor Kaydree... I could have spared her the pain!

shantel said...

Poor Kaydree we had a beta once and when it died we were all pretty sad.(O.K. not Mike he was the one that got stuck doing all the work)Now Maddy is pushing for a hamster UGH.....

Nicole said...

It's sad to have pets die, but I think it's good for kids. They can't think things go on living forever. I'm glad you liked the choir. I think music is wonderful.

The Seaman Family said...

Sorry Kaydree, that is so sad. But Kristen if you went and bought new ones you may have to do that more than you'd like. Hopefully she's feeling better today though.
Glad, you had a great time subbing!

Ashton & Co. said...

I hear ya about the fish...we have killed SO many beta, I can't even count them anymore! Now when we buy fish my girls ask me how long I think it will take for these ones to die. I can't keep fish or plants alive...anyway, cute post- I wish I could have heard those kids sing! Sounds great!

Sarah said...

That's pretty funny that Benjy offered to make a tuna sandwich with the dead fish! I'm glad that Kaydree found it funny as well.

Serena said...

I think it is amazing how music can touch our souls. I have to admit that I can't sing either. Sorry to hear the guppies are gone!! How did Kaydree like her tuna sandwich?? Leave it to Benjy to make her laugh!!