Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Labor Day Parade at the Box Car Days...

I am the one behind the camera 99% of the time, Kaydree took this picture on the way to the Parade...it is the only picture of me you will see for the rest of this post.
It has become a family tradition to celebrate the end of summer by going to the Box Car Day's Parade. My grandpa and grandma would take us when we were younger, right before we would head back to Colorado to start school. Now that we are living back in Minnesota, the girls and I still enjoy this tradition. Benjy likes to pretend that he doesn't, but we find him enjoying himself in spite of it. We arrive at 11:00AM to get a great spot for the 1:00PM Parade.
It is usually pretty hot and hit 90 yesterday. This is my Auntie Karen. The girls always know to have Karen close when they start throwing candy, because she doesn't let anyone jump into our area and snatch up our candy! ;-)
This is my Grandma Ruth. I know she misses having Grandpa here with us, since this is something they really enjoyed doing together. I think she does still enjoy it, although the heat is getting harder for her to take. I think at 88 years of age, she is doing great. She often gets a chuckle out of Benjy cracking jokes about sitting in the heat waiting to see tractors and horses.
From Left to Right: My Aunt Linda, Uncle Lee (mom's brother), My mom, Grandma, Kaydree and Karen (mom's sister).
Tracy is a small town and we got a good laugh at the fact that they had this sign in it!
Benjy described this parade to numerous people as having a lot of tractors, horses and candy! What more do you need?
The parade always ends with the horses and I wonder why? Maybe so others won't have to go through the little presents that they leave behind?
I love this picture of my husband, my best friend and my eternal companion with my grandma. It has made me sad to think that Benjy never got a chance to meet my Grandpa Larsen before he passed away. I am so grateful that he has been able to enjoy my Grandma Ruth. We continue to carry on these traditions with Grandma, so that my girls will also have the fond memories of her and an appreciation for the things that my family has always enjoyed together. Just going to this parade helps me to remember the great times that I was able to share with my Grandma and Grandpa and I treasure them and I am grateful that Benjy is a good sport about it!

3 comments:

Kathy Koch said...

I was looking forward to seeing your post about the parade and I enjoyed both the parade and the post and it brings tears to my eyes to know traditions are so important to our family. When I see pictures of my mom it makes me realize how much we should enjoy our time with her. She is a trooper and it was hot yesterday but she loves to be with family and putting up with the heat is a small price to pay.

Andie said...

That's so sweet that your grandma got to go with you to the parade. My grandma used to take me to a certain parade in Chicago every year when I was a little girl too!

Laurel Criddle said...

How fun to end the summer in such a pleasant way. When you are going to come over here and make some traditions with us!? We miss you guys!