Sunday, August 31, 2008

Helping Hands Make Light Work...

Together we enjoyed an apple tradition by

cleaning jars,

boiling lids and rings,

peeling apples,

cutting apples,

throwing away the curly q's,

packing apples,

finding cute little faces in the apple cores,

making the filling for apple pies and apple crisps,

stirring the filling,
pouring the filling into the jars,

sealing all but one jar,

and finally, making them cute with fall material. ;-)

We finished in a little under 2 hours with 29 quarts of apple filling. We used four bags of apples. We have already picked 8 other bags and plan on picking some more tomorrow. Does this motivate anyone to can some apples? Actually it was really fun and I love that Kaydree and Karsyn already consider this a tradition. They enjoy helping and really enjoy eating apple pies and apple crisp. Hey, all of you in the Anoka Ward, guess what you might see at the next Linger Longer?! ;-) We have had a couple of requests now for some apples and that makes my parents very happy that their apples will not be going to waste. There are some local deer that are grateful for the apples that fall on the ground because they feed them through the winter. It is a lot of work canning, however... Helping Hands do... make the load a little lighter!

Recipe for the filling: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Apple-Pie-in-a-Jar/Detail.aspx

9 comments:

Andie said...

Dang, woman, how do you get Benjy to do that much work in the kitchen?!? Ryan would NEVER!

The Seaman Family said...

I love your parents apples, please tell thanks ahead of time. They are great all year long! Looks like you guys had a great time. John loves peeling them too. We have a great time doing it together also. So thanks a ton. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Kathy Koch said...

Yesterday did go very smoothly and with some laughs. Karsyn especially laughed (as do the other grandkids)when I was dancing to my favorite CD Mama Mia....I don't know why that was so funny. We and the other members of our family will enjoy the fruit(no pun intended) of our labors for another year and what better way to spend a couple of hours

Nicole said...

I've never tried canning. It seems like a large undertaking to do alone but with all you guys working together I can see how that was a great time. I'd say I'd like a bag of apples but then they really would go to waste...I never eat more than about 4 or 5 before they go bad.

shantel said...

Your pictures make it look so easy,I'm sure that wouldn't be the case if I tried doing it,but I must say the finished work looks pretty tasty!

The Miller Family said...

I was just telling my mother-in-law about the Anoka Ward doing this! Could you pass the recipe my way so our family can have delicious pies too?


Glad you guys had fun! Yay for family traditions!

The Seaman Family said...

Thanks a ton for all of the apples. We are so excited to start canning and cooking! Thanks to all of your family for not only the apples but all the work it took to pick them all. We really appreciate it and will think of it everytime we eat them! Thanks

Serena said...

Thanks you for the apples. I can't wait to get my pie filling done. What a great tradition for your family!

Emily said...

Thanks for doing all that work for us to enjoy. Tell Benjy that the best apple picker is a family apple picker ha, ha ... no really:) I am looking forward to Spencer making apple crisp now.