Sunday, September 7, 2008

10 Year Anniversary of Being LDS.

September 5, 1998 is a very important date for me. I was raised Catholic by my parents who were and are to this day active in the Catholic Church. My Mom grew up going to a couple of different churches and became Catholic when she married my Dad. My dad grew up going to Catholic School and his mother relied on the Catholic church to help her raise her four boys as a single mother after her husband was killed in a tractor accident.
My parents and family can tell you that from an early age, I was a pretty religious person and was always questioning things about the Catholic Church. Why couldn't I be a Priest, Why couldn't non-catholic Christians take communion ( I knew the Catholic answer, but I felt strongly that anyone that accepted Jesus Christ as their Savior and Redeemer should be allowed to take communion) and there were other things that I often pondered. My confirmation teacher in High school told her son that she hated that I always asked so many questions.
When I went to college to do gymnastics, the first club that I joined was Fellowship of Christian Athletes. This was my first experience of looking into other churches. I attended other Christian churches and some bible camps. It was during this time that I really learned to trust in my Savior, Jesus Christ and the path that my life was suppose to take. I started to know beyond a doubt that there really was a God and that we really do live after this life. By the time I moved to Las Vegas to teach, which I know was not a coincidence, I knew I was looking for a bible centered church that had Sunday School for Adults, Bible Studies and lots of Activities and programs in order to help strengthen my faith and commitment to being a Christian. I was looking for a church that helped me live my faith, not just believe in it, but make it apart of my everyday life.
Within weeks of moving to Las Vegas I was introduced to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. (The Mormon Church)
This is what we believe:
Articles of Faith:
We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.
We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.
We believe that through the Atonement of Christ, all mankind may be saved, by obedience to the laws and ordinances of the Gospel.
We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
We believe that a man must be called of God, by prophecy, and by the laying on of hands by those who are in authority, to preach the Gospel and administer in the ordinances thereof.
We believe in the same organization that existed in the Primitive Church, namely, apostles, prophets, pastors, teachers, evangelists, and so forth.
We believe in the gift of tongues, prophecy, revelation, visions, healing, interpretation of tongues, and so forth.
We believe the Bible to be the word of God as far as it is translated correctly; we also believe the Book of Mormon to be the word of God.
We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.
We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the restoration of the Ten Tribes; that Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent; that Christ will reign personally upon the earth; and, that the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory.
We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.
We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, and magistrates, in obeying, honoring, and sustaining the law.
We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things.


The green ones are some of my favorite ones! I want to sum this up knowing that some of you don't like reading long posts, with this.... I am forever grateful to have supportive family and friends that have encouraged, supported, defended and shown tremendous love and respect for my decision. It has in ways that are beyond words or expression brought more joy into my life then I thought possible. I don't think I always deserve or have expected the blessings that have come from being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. It hasn't always been easy, but it has always been worth it!

8 comments:

The Seaman Family said...

Happy Anniv. Kristen. I really enjoyed your testimony today. There was such a strong spirit there, and I could feel it so strongly as you talked about your decision on joining the church and how blessed you are for having made this great decision. You're truly an amazing women, friend, mother and example to me and many others.

Kathy Koch said...

I cannot believe it is 10 years already Wow Happy Anniversary We have seen how much finding the church has meant to you. We have been blessed in many ways through the love of Jesus Christ.

Andie said...

Great post! You are awesome....what a great thing for me to read to start my day!

Serena said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony. We are so glad you have joined the church and found happiness through your decision. We love you and your family!!

Audrey said...

After having kind of a crappy morning, this is a nice thing too read:)

Laurel Criddle said...

I couldnt be happier for you Kris! I'm so grateful that it worked out perfectly for you meet my brother. I know you make him so happy. Heavenly Father has an individual plan for each one of us.

shantel said...

What a great post Kristen. You are such a great example to me and your such a joy to be around. Your on my little "Thankful List" you passed out on Sunday!

Sarah said...

What a great anniversary to celebrate! I'm so glad that you found the church and that you are sealed to your family for eternity. There's not much better than that.