Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Borrowed Idea....

My friend Audrey tries to blog on Thursdays and she calls them Thankful Thursdays. I love reading her blog and always look forward to it on Thursdays. This week I had a lesson with the Children at church about focusing on really being thankful for things that they may take for granted or forget to thank Heavenly Father for. We talked about how it is so much easier to pray for the things we want and need and sometimes forget to be thankful for what we have already been given. So I asked the Children to think of some things they are thankful for. They developed a pretty extensive list, it was very humbling to see how many tender and sweet little things that they came up with. Karsyn kept saying something and I didn't understand what she was saying it sounded like, "Seets." I asked like chairs? I then looked to other adults in the room to translate for my own daughter. They all shrugged their shoulders and on the way home she told me... "You know mom, the ones on your bed that you snuggle up in!" Oh... Sheets. Got it!
Today I want to share a couple of things that I am thankful for. I got to Substitute Teach a half day, today at Blaine High school. We are actually called, Guest Teachers. I was told that is the Politically Correct Term. Some believe we are treated with more respect if the students address us as Guest Teachers? I absolutely love having the flexibility and choices that come with (Subbing.) I feel like Jack Black in School of Rock. I have a BLAST. I actually feel a little guilty about how much I enjoy it. I am planning on subbing 2 days a week when Karsyn and Kaydree are in school.
I am thankful for Chili. Just about every Monday morning, I make chili. Last year my parents gave us some canned tomato juice from their garden. I can't believe the difference it makes. I love to make chili on Monday and have it for lunches for the rest of the week. It is just a Fall and Winter thing, though.
Kaydree and Karysn love it too! Kaydree with a little Sour Cream and Karsyn to dip her chips in!
I am thankful for Schwan's Precooked bacon. We have tried others from Sam's Club and Aldi. They just don't compare!
The temple. Someone set fire to our temple yesterday. I really am struggling to find the right words to explain what it felt like to see the news footage of a burnt entry to a Temple... The House of the Lord. I am so grateful especially today on September 11th, for the freedoms that we have in this country and especially for Religious Freedom that we do and should enjoy.
I am thankful for the people who will never be forgotten on September 11th. For the people who choose not to forget how our country changed forever on this day seven years ago. For the people who are fighting to prevent something like this from ever happening again here on our soil or in other Countries around the world.

12 comments:

Andie said...

Are you going to pretend you are someone else and start a rock band with a classroom full of fourth-graders? That sounds fun! ;-)

The "Serene" Life said...

I was watching the news last night and I heard someone set fire to a church in St. Paul....I wondered to myself if it was yours.....now I guess I know. What a horrible thing for someone to do.

PS....I LOVE chili too!

The Seaman Family said...

I loved your lesson on Sunday. It to made me think about how it's so easy to skip over the things that we are thankful for and go right to the things we are in need of. I was so happy to be able to be part of that lesson and to hear all the childrens sweet thoughts and answers. I am so thankful that we have the freedom also to chose the religion of our choice and to be free.
ps: I am right there with ya on the chili. Glad you had a great day subbing.

Kathy Koch said...

I am very thankful that you are able to express such wonderful thoughts and feelings. I enjoy all your blogs so much reading yours tonight summed up all that we have to be thankful for especially today. Thank you

Luann said...

I love this post! I am thankful for my family and friends that support my walks for breast cancer. Also that I have the ability to walk in support of Breast Cancer.

I am also super thankful for family and friends that surround me during challenging moments.

shantel said...

That reminds me I want your chili receipe it is sooo good. Its a good day to reflect on how blessed we are.

Samantha Hussong said...

Kris - I guess I haven't been watching the news so I hadn't heard about the church but sorry to hear that. You are right being thankful does get overlooked so many times. You are able to write so well. I'm thankful you are my cousin and friend and thankful that you are so easy to talk to. Have a great weekend! Oh yeah - thankful that you had us over for lunch one day and made us chili cuz it was so good. Love Sam

Serena said...

Thanks for the reminder that we do need to be gratefull for blessing we have already received. I am glad you enjoy being a Guest Teacher!

Audrey said...

I feel like I am getting a lot of face time on your blog lately:)
I think we all have an amazing amount of things to be thankful for.

stephanie said...

I love the idea of thankful thursdays..I may have to borrow that one. It would be interesting to hear what my 2 and 3 year olds have to say!! Thanks to your friend for me.

Ashton & Co. said...

What a nice post. I love the fact that there is alway, always, always something to be thankful for. I am thankful for computers so that we can keep in touch through blogging! :) Thanks for sharing and I wish I liked chili...

Crystal said...

What a great idea to have a Thankful Thursday.
I'll bet those kids love having you as a "guest teacher!" You are such an excellent teacher and so good with kids!