Saturday, August 30, 2008

Apples, Apples and More Apples.

This is my parent's apple shed. This summer they refinished it.
This is the new and improved RED APPLE SHED!
This morning was a beautiful crisp 57 degree morning, so we thought it would be a great morning to pick crisp apples. My parents have 13 apple trees that need some pickin'.
So we all got to work. Mom and I were helping, just not in the pics.
I kept getting side tracked by all the apples that have already fallen on the ground. I slipped on them twice and fell, so I started throwing them all to the base of the trees, until Benjy so nicely reminded me by ( throwing an apple at me) that there was work to be done, by picking the apples off of the trees.
We only picked a small, very small portion of 4 trees. This is how many apples we got in an hour. We plan on picking more before we leave. We are now going out to enjoy our last day this summer on the lake and then we will be peeling, coring, slicing, packing and canning apples!
I know in the past that some of you have enjoyed canning apple filling for pies, crisps and apple sauce with these apples. Let me know if you want some more... it will help us decide how many more to pick. I don't want to bring back a car full of apples, if people aren't going to use them....?? I am kind of lazy like that!;-)

9 comments:

Audrey said...

I make insanely good carmel apple pie! I'll make you some if you bring some back!!! I need like 12 apples!

Andie said...

I can't decide if I want any apples or not. When I asked Ryan what he thought, he informed me that canning them would be a One Woman Show, as he won't be helping me do any of the work! I doubt he would have any problem eating what I can, though? Maybe I can bribe him.

Tell your mom and dad the apple shed looks great. I love the color-it's perfect.

shantel said...

I would love a bag.I don't think I would can any ,but we would love to eat them.If you wouldn't mind doing a little extra work.

Luann said...

That looks like so much fun. YOu are so lucky to live near your family and give your daughters these amazing experiences.

TO bad we live to far away, our grocery store apples don't look like they would compete with those beauties.

Ashton & Co. said...

What a fun day. I love fall days like that and your pics are beautiful. What a fun day as a family! Oh, you asked if it's chilly here, it's like 70 one day and 90 the next. It's been really weird.

The Seaman Family said...

My mom and I would love as many as you'd like to bring back. We enjoy them all year round. Thanks for thinking of everyone else! Have fun.

Danny and Shalayne said...

That sounds so fun! I love Fall and apple season! And that barn looks amazing - I love red barns!

Tina said...

wow!! We need a family with an apple farm!!! We eat them like crazy! If you need to get rid of any, let me know! oh and I just talked to Megan, and you need to let us know when you're free in Sept so we can do applebees ;-)

Serena said...

I wish I could have been there to help. I love being in the country, it's so peaceful!