Friday, August 8, 2008

Socks, Socks and More Socks!

I don't mind doing laundry, but I hate sorting socks! It really gets out of control sometimes. I swear my washing machine or dryer eats socks. I will do all of the laundry and end up with mix matched socks. Kaydree wants to earn an allowance so I looked at this pile of socks and thought, ok, I will give you and Karsyn a nickel for every pair of socks you make. I am going to take away a nickel for every pair that you put together that don't match! Motivation...right?
Here is the before pile... remember these are my socks that come out with out a match...we had a lot of matched socks still in our drawers!
So they sorted them into piles of adult socks, kids socks, then into colored socks, ankle socks and long socks. Pretty organized on Kaydree's part.
Charlee was a quiet observer, he usually tries to steal the socks, but after he was reprimanded a couple of times, he gave up!
Racing to put the left over socks without matches into our tuck away suitcase.
This is the kicker, I have whole suitcase of left over socks, yet last fall Andrea turned 30 and I may have put 30 other mixed matched socks on her lawn?! ;-o This is a whole new group of mixed matched socks... non-related to the other 30! Don't ever get Benjy started on not being able to find a pair of matching black socks. In fact he has already started subtracting nickels from the girls... for wearing one blue and one black sock to work and not realizing it until he is sitting in court! Ha Ha! What does one do?!

6 comments:

Serena said...

The socks are gone to sock land! I am glad that I am not the only one who has a basket of miss matched socks. Clint also gets upset when he thinks he has black socks on then gets to church and realizes that he has blue socks with a black suit.

I wonder who has inspired your girls to be such good organizers?

Nicole said...

My mom always has a basket of mis matched socks too. Although, since Travis and I have been married, I have never had missing socks. It's kinda weird, but must be something that kids cause :)

The Miller Family said...

This is one of the greatest mysteries of the universe! Where DO those socks go???

My kids socks I don't mind so much, b/c they're so small, I figure it's understandable...but Joe-Z's socks...really? How in the world did I lose them from the laundry basket to the washer, dryer, and back to the basket!?!? Good night!

This was a great post...good idea letting the girls do it for allowance!

Emily said...

Looks like you had a "Sock Party". At our house, I'll ask the kids if they want to have a party tonight. They get all excited and say "Yes! - Whose coming over?". Then I bring out the garbage bag full of clean socks dump it on the floor and say "It's a sock party!" One way of making it sorta fun is to place laundry baskets all around the living room floor - one for each bedroom and then they find a match and shoot hoops with the socks.

Andie said...

LOL, I can't believe you have that many socks left even after purging 30 of them onto my lawn! That wasn't even a year ago!

I saw a thing in Family Fun once where a family hung a small piece of clothesline on their laundry room wall and they would clothespin all the socks without matches on the line on laundry day. Then when the matches inevitably show up later they'd just pull the match down off the line. Genius!

The Seaman Family said...

That's pretty funny. That's why I opt for myself and my kids as much as possible to wear sandals. I have no idea where the end up but I wonder that about a lot of things like DVD's. I think my kids must just throw a lot of stuff away. But looks like you made out pretty well though!