Monday, August 11, 2008

What's Happened in My Life Since High School?

Sorry about the qualities of these pictures! I never thought I needed a scanner until this morning...ugh! I have recently been introduced to Face Book from a friend. I didn't think I would ever want an account, however since I have been able to get in touch with long lost friends, I am loving it! I have been asked over and over... "UPDATE ME ON YOUR LIFE!" So I thought I would give you all a little walk down History Lane... I am hoping that this will also be a part of my history for my children and Grandchildren. :-)
I attended The University of Wisconsin-River Falls, in order to do gymnastics...and get an education!;-) This picture was taken my Sophomore year at Nationals out East. We visited the Rocky Statue while we were there! (Can't find my picture by Rocky) :-( I originally enrolled pre-law, decided that I didn't want to go to school that long, so I switched to Nursing. I passed out in my First Aid class and thought, that this path might not work for me. River Falls is known for their Elementary Education Program, and I practiced gymnastics in the Education building and I was naturally drawn to that program by my sophomore year.

While at River Falls, I was (overly involved), as my dad put it. I served on just about every committee there was. I spent the majority of my time in committee meetings and serving as a Resident Assistant in Hathorn Hall. I became active in Student Government, traveled to Orlando for training and my Senior year I was elected as Student Body President.
I earned the Chancellor's Award for my involvement in student activities and in the community, where I taught religious education classes for the catholic church, coached track and gymnastics at River Falls High School and taught Aerobics for the University and Athletic Club. I have to say receiving this award was one of my most memorable moments in college! It was a sign that it really was coming to an end and it would be a start to a new beginning!
In 1998, right after I graduated with a degree in Elementary Education with minors in Health and Coaching, I moved to Las Vegas to teach. This is a picture of all the Third Grade Teachers at the end of my Second Year of Teaching. I taught 4 years at an inner city (at risk) school and absolutely loved it! My last year of teaching was spent at a school closer to my home at the time where I taught Fifth Grade.
I joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints on September 5, 1998. It has been the most significant choices I have made in my adult life along with....


Meeting and marrying my very best friend, Adriel Benjamin Villarreal. (Benjy) I am three years older than Benjy and when we met, I was already teaching and he was one year into his college career after taking time off of school to serve a mission in Las Vegas for our church. Benjy is from the State of Washington, where most of his family still lives. Benjy attended school full-time while working for Schwan's for the first 4 years of our marriage. He graduated from UNLV with a degree in Business with a Marketing Emphasis. We then moved to Bloomington, MN so that Benjy could attend Law School at the University of St. Thomas. During this time I worked 5-10 hours a week at Lifetime Fitness in their Kid's Center, where the girls could come with me. We now live in Ramsey, MN and Benjy works for Barna, Guzy and Steffen in Coon Rapids. I am now a Stay at Home Mom! I am currently serving in a calling in our church as the Primary President. Which means I work with Children and the Children's teachers in our church and I still get to attend meetings! ;-) Our daughter Kaydree is 7 and starting second grade. She has taken piano lessons and tennis lessons. She has dabbled in gymnastics, dance and soccer. Our daughter Karsyn is 4 and will be going to preschool 2 full days a week. She took dance this last year. I am planning on subbing a day or two a week while Karsyn is in school. Someday it is my plan to get back into teaching full time... just not yet!
Right now my interests are in providing peace and love in our home, keeping a clean house, taking my girls to the library, park and pool, going on dates with Benjy, trying to develop a love for cooking and working out at Lifetime Fitness. I love to read and have developed a new love for running. I have run a couple of 5k's but haven't worked up to more than that for now! Since High School, I have been living a very full and happy life. I have and I am currently living my dreams!

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I really enjoyed the pictures from college. It's weird the way life seems to change and go down paths that we never expected. I think the great thing is that you have accepted the path your life went down and you are finding great happiness in it. Thanks for being an example to me.

Benjy said...

I've said it before and I will say it again...I married up!!! I am truly lucky to be married to such a busy body... :)

Serena said...

I also enjoyed the pictures from college. When I was little my dream was to be a nurse (because my aunt was a nurse). But as all know that didn't happen. We are glad you joined the church. Otherwise I don't know if we would have ever crossed paths.

Luann said...

What a fun walk down memory lane

shantel said...

Those are some cute pics....You had the 90's hair too with the big bangs!

Ashton & Co. said...

Wow! So many new posts! Sounds like you have a great pet by the way! Charlee is so cute! You have accomplished a lot since high school and don't look a day over 18! Good job! :) Love all the pics.