Saturday, August 16, 2008

Pancho Villa Returns...

For years I have been trying to get Benjy to go horseback riding for a date. He has some unknown origin of fear for horses. He didn't want Kaydree and Karsyn to pet them at the fair for fear that they might get bit!? He thinks that every horse is going to bite, apparently? Yesterday during his morning meetings I scoped out the stables and made a riding appointment.
Since I thought the stables were just across the street, we decided to walk there. Benjy was making an effort to try to be comfortable around horses as we waited. After our start time had passed we realized that this was the wrong stable. So we pretty much ended up running a 1/2 mile down the road, in the heat of the day in jeans! Not... off to a good start. Benjy does not like being HOT! You can imagine his comments under his breath...remember this was your idea... what in the world, how can it be this HOT? I was so excited that I just kept smiling and reassuring him that it would be FUN!
After we ran thinking we were late.. we were informed that the group before us did the same thing. So we got to wait for a couple minutes. Benjy picked out this horse to ride! Ha Ha. No.... really. He thought the horse looked hefty enough to hold him!

Then he picked out this horse to ride...thinking it was a little taller..;-) ...yes it was a donkey.. but hey, Benjy thought he made a connection with this little guy!

They told him... you are going to ride JOE! This is JOE.. one of the tallest horses there! Ha Ha. I was laughing and Benjy...nope.... not so much!
I rode Amy... ( who wears a necklace like that... to go riding. I forgot I had it on!) Talk about looking like a city slicker!
I asked the lady to put Benjy in front of me so I could see him and enjoy it. We had our own private ride. The last one of the day!
We are off. Benjy had his blackberry on his hip, wearing a polo and leather loafers. I bet these people just chuckled at us!
This is what I saw most of the ride. It was beautiful, however Benjy thought he was Pancho Villa... he kept kicking his horse to run! Then my horse would take off running, which I wouldn't care, but my legs were too short to reach the stirrups, so I would bounce like crazy and only had the tiny little saddle horn to hang on to! Amy...my buddy, they told me tends to run into things on her left side, so I would need to over compensate for her! Well, when she would take off running I would hold on for dear life, which required not being able to pull back on the reins, which led to, being hit by branches and getting off the path. Benjy picked up on this and had a great time with it! Let's just say I am having a hard time sitting today!
(Remember it was my idea to do this!)
Benjy hates to admit it, but he loved it. He looked like the real deal... making his horse run and taking control of a 1,000 pound animal. Benjy's comment was, "I got back in touch with my roots"....PANCHO VILLA RETURNS.


Last night we had a formal dinner and awards ceremony. The food was amazing, again! We had a blast with some friends and listened to music and then Benjy took me for a stroll out to the dock, there was a full moon...sooooo ROMANTIC.
A little History lesson...after I did this post, Andrea asked,
"Who is Pancho Villa?"
Here is a picture of him.
Villa's Robin Hood story began after he established himself and his bandit followers in the sierras in 1900. Today Villa is remembered with pride by most Mexicans for having led the most important military campaigns of the constitutionalist revolution, in which his troops were victorious as far south as Zacatecas and Mexico City, east as far as Tampico, and west as far as Casas Grandes. Here is a link if you are interested in more...http://www.mexconnect.com/mex_/travel/jcummings/jcpanchovilla.html

11 comments:

Janice Anderson said...

scooterWhat a way to go! Go for those things while you are young so you won't have to regret NOT having done them later when you are old and can no longer heft yourselves up into the saddle!!!

Nicole said...

I bet you are feeling that today! Looks like it was a really great time though. Maybe I'll ask Travis to take me riding sometime. I think deep down Travis wishes he was a cowboy...he worked on a ranch in Idaho when he was younger, so he would probably love it.

shantel said...

Way to go Pancho Villa!

Andie said...

I'm glad you finally got Benjy out on a horse, but I am feeling a bit uneducated...who is Pancho Villa?

Kathy Koch said...

Wow you guys had a wonderful time and that really puts a smile on our faces. You both look so coool..

The Seaman Family said...

How fun is that! Way to go Kristen, planning something different and really fun! Benjy looks just like him...lol. But no realy it looked beautiful there and I know you guys had a great weekend!

Danny and Shalayne said...

OK...Danny is obsessed with Poncho Villa too! We were in the family history sunday school class and he told the teachers that he was related to Poncho Villa and tried doing his genealogy! They must be brothers!

Unknown said...

I did. Anyway thakns for all beautiful pics from the horse ride. I'm glad Benjy knows the differnce between a donkey (burro) and a horse ha haha.
sounds like you guys had a great time together. We miss you all. Please take care of yourselves and of course the famous Charlie
Love mom in Othello kissesssss !You Pancho Villa.

Unknown said...

Well, I think I figured this thing out and is working now. You are a real "Pancho Villa" with a skinny horse ha haha. I love you and take care.

Mom in Othello

Anonymous said...

I REALLY want to go where you guys went riding! Kevin really misses his horses back home and living out here he hasn't been able to take advantage of that...! Can you give me the details??

Laurel Criddle said...

What a fun thing to try! Benjy is a sport for doing that with you! Its so funny to see him on the horse! I was laughing reading about you guys having to book it to the horse stable and some of the things benjy said about being hot and so on....Only Berrak...hahaha