Friday, August 12, 2011

The Feeling of Being a TEAM...

I love the sense of belonging, like being on a team. I started running track when I was in third grade. We traveled all over... with The Brighton Colorado team. Coach Martinez and his family, were like a second family, to all of us. My favorite memory was after running in the heat and being super tired and hot, he always pulled out the snow cone machine! I was also on a gymnastics team, at the age of 10. I loved being on the swim team, gymnastics and track team in High School. In the summers, I loved to play on a softball team. It is that sense of getting through things together, supporting one another, cheering each other on and having fun that reminded me of what it was like to be at Girl's Camp.

I loved having matching shirts, a flag to represent us, a cheer and a skit that we worked on together and being able to enjoy it, when we were done. It was just as important to get through and even laugh at the difficult times as much as we enjoyed the fun. Together they made for a very fun and spiritual experience.
More matching shirts! Yay.. I have been known, to go with a color scheme for our family during important events and sometimes on Sundays. It's a TEAM Villarreal...thing. So cheesy, I know, but there is something about it that makes me feel unified or more put together.
The girls and Sister Dailey made an amazing flag!

The theme was, "Live Like You Believe." Lovin' it, again.
There were times to be serious and then there were times to have fun. There was a perfect balance in the week. This was during the goofy skit.




As I was writing this, I had the thought...why is it that I enjoy a sense of belonging, a sense of being together. I can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but I know that it something that has and still is a part of who I am...and for that I am very thankful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kris - I love your blog. Truly! I look forward to your posts because they uplift me and make me smile! Love you!!

shantel said...

Love the theme!!

Danny and Shalayne said...

i agree - there is something about being on a team that is comforting and builds character in a different way that you can individually.

Oh, and yes...we will be doing some of those activities next year for the reunion :) i can't wait!!!!!

Kathy Koch said...

I think you had one fantastic week at camp. Being a part of a team does start with our own families and just naturally encompasses so much of our everyday lives. You and the girls did a wonderful job of showing us all that