Monday, August 8, 2011

A Fantastic Adventure

A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to go to a Young Women's Camp up in Northern Minnesota with 7 girls and 2 other leaders. We piled our camping gear and food into our vehicles and believe me, you couldn't fit another item into our van. We had two planning meetings that required us to do some tie dying, making up a camp cheer, a skit, a camp flag, mail box and to go over our menu. We set up the tents ahead of time and celebrated with pizza and a jello cake. It was a blast even before camp started~ I only had to work out someone to watch the kids for a couple hours on the first day that I was gone. My wonderful husband believed so much in the importance of supporting these girls on this adventure, that he made sacrifices so that I could go. His response, even knowing how difficult it would be was, "We will make it work." I was so excited to go, but I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little nervous or feeling a little like I was leaving a piece of me behind to go camping. I would also be lying if I didn't say that it didn't last that long because as soon as we were on our way, you could just feel the excitement in the air. These girls had so much energy that it was contagious.
The idea of being with these amazing and very talented, hard working and extremely able Young Women is that we as leaders are there to support them, but it is their camp, their decisions, their time to learn how and to do these things, such as setting up camp.


We worked along side them, but they all knew what to do and since we stopped to eat and were the last group to show up, we had to hustle and they didn't surprise me when they whipped out those tents in no time!
This was just the beginning of these Young Women being a great example to me. There is a saying, " There is no "I" in TEAM WORK." They worked together and we were off and running!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So where is this picture of you laying with buckets on you and catching the water coming into your tent?! SO happy that it went so smooth and that you had a awesome time!

shantel said...

How Fun...my girls would have loved to go with you!!

Kristen said...

It's coming....

Danny and Shalayne said...

that is awesome. I think you would be the funnest camp director! Those girls were lucky lucky!