Thursday, May 7, 2009

Swine Flu Paranoia/Doctor Visit

So yesterday I woke up with plans to find a way to just do something a little different or find something special to do that day that made it different from the average day. I went all out, I changed what I had for breakfast. From my normal peanut butter toast with Welches Grape Jelly to a bowl of cereal. I found out very quickly that this had not been a very good idea. Immediately the nausea set in. So this morning I went back to my wonderful toast.
Karsyn and I hung out and snuggled on the couch until the phone rang and it was Kaydree's school. Telling me that the cough she had been fighting for a week seemed to be worse and that she needed to come home. I asked if she had developed a fever. Of course they said, "No." I was somewhat surprised they were even calling me, since Benjy and I had thought it was breaking up and sounding better. In fact the night before she went to soccer and ran around like crazy.
So I went to pick her up when the Secretary proceeded to comment that any child with Flu like symptoms should stay home for 7 days. I thought, am I missing the FLU like symptoms...being the hypochondriac that I am? REALLY? NO FeVEr and nothing other than a cough??????
So I canceled my cake job today, meaning Social Studies class.... watching videos all day! Man... and I will be taking Kaydree to the Doctor to rule out Swine Flu, to make the school happy! REALLY! Could it be the last name "Villarreal" invoking some heightened sense of paranoia? If anyone would know what the symptoms would be it would be someone like me who pays close attention to any type of germ, virus, bacteria, fungus, genetic, cancerous, green goo or could be type disease out there!
Side Note: If I get to the Doctor and she has Swine Flu I retract the last two sentences! And then I will be freaking out, too!

The Doctor pretty much laughed and said it is either a cold or allergies. Since she has no fever or other symptoms he thought it was crazy that the school even called.
He wrote a note:

To Whom it May Concern:
I saw Kaydree this morning and she has a cold. She does not have any signs of H1N1 and is NOT contagious!

He told me that I could bring Kaydree to school for the rest of the day at which point she started pleading desperately to stay home for a day without Karsyn. I told her it was up to her dad. Of course he was resistant and told her she needed to write out all her spelling words twice, read and take a nap. She jumped on the opportunity.

So what did we do? We hit a couple of Garage Sales, ate lunch, took a nap, got up and had ice cream and watched part of Twilight. (The age appropriate parts....after all...she is reading the book.) She is thinking she is "the bomb" right now!

Once again, I give a bad name for an Educator who is not suppose to support skipping school, but we did have a fun day together!

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Hopefully Kaydree is alright. That does seem a little over the top for the school to send her home, but it's better safe than sorry.

Anonymous said...

Turns out the H1N1(swine flu) is not as bad as the news made it out to be. The school should pay better attention to that. I would ask the Principle to be sure. Seems like a lot of fuss over a cough with no fever.

shantel said...

I think the paranoia is hitting me, Ashley's been sniffling and coughing for a couple of days and last night it hit me what if she has H1N1????


I think the school is being a little crazy, 7 days really??

Let me know what the outcome is at the doctors!!

Tina said...

I would be really mad if I had to pick my kids up from school because they had a cough. Maybe I'm not taking it serious enough, but more people die from the regular flu (not to mention car accidents, etc) EVERY DAY. Hope she's feeling better!!

Serena said...

I know you of all people would be concerned about Kaydree having the swine flu. The schools are just over paranoid!! Hope Kaydree enjoyed her day home from school.

Kathy Koch said...

So now I am really curious as to what the doctor had to say.

I think it is allergies from running in the grass at soccer it seems she is a little worse always the day after.

Chris said...

I ask myself what kind of school nurse tells a parent that a child should stay home for 7 days!! Doesn't this nurse know that she/he has a job because the kids are at school? LOL.

I'm very excited for you that Kaydree is "old enough" to read Twilight. I can't wait until Cooper can read the Harry Potter books and we can talk about all the details.

Kristen said...

I just picked up two of the Harry Potter books at a garage sale. Those are the next ones that Kaydree and I are going to read together. I read through them once, but I am going to love reading them with her!

shantel said...

Good to hear that Kaydree is a okay!!

Tina said...

I won't even let Nick read Twilight yet :o)

Janice Anderson said...

GRRRR!!! 7 days is way extreme. But so glad you made a day of it with the girls. Nothing can take the place of time spent with your kids.

Schreurs said...

So glad to hear that Kaydree is fine and no signs of Swine Flu.. It sounded as though you had a wonderful day together..