Monday, October 24, 2011

A Beloved Family Recipe.

I believe that we are all pretty much aware of our short comings, our weakness and our insecurities. Yes, I am very aware of my inability to cook. Which started out as an excuse, something like this.... I grew up on Schwan's food, my mom is a very good cook however, I never learned how because I was always in a sport, year round. When in reality, I haven't ever really liked it. When I did try, I didn't put enough love and effort into it, so things usually didn't turn out. My dear husband will tell you that I don't follow recipes to the tee, even though, I think I am...well, most of the time. I will tell you that there are a couple of things I have mastered, the easy, no more then 3 to 4 step processes, type cooking. Crock pot recipes are the best. Dump it all in, let it cook without having to worrying about the timing of all of it. So when my dear sweet husband knew that Grandma Villarreal (Mom), an unbelievably great cook, was coming, he couldn't contain his ideas of what he would like for her to cook for him. In the hopes of working on these weaknesses, I took these pictures and notes, which I lost, thank goodness for pictures...so here is his beloved Peruvian dish... LOMO SALTADO


Marinate the cut up sirloin steak in a little vinegar (2-3 tbls), soy sauce (0ptional), cumin, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper for 3-4 hours.
Let me tell you, there is more love in this one dish and way more then 3-4 steps, but I aspire to be better! Cut up and fry potatoes and set aside.

Slice, dice and chop.


Mix meat, red onion, cilantro and tomato.
Cook it until it looks like this. 15-20 minutes?
Pour over potatoes.


Serve over rice.


I need to bring myself to do it, to actually try cooking this, solo. Sometimes I think it is our fear of something not turning out that holds us back? But when you see the next post on how loved and happy my dear sweet husband feels while eating this...how could I not try to make this and keep on trying until it turns out!

2 comments:

Kathy Koch said...

I look forward to the day when you cook this for us because it looks so good.....
You do not give yourself enough credit.....You can cook

Anna Stoelting Dailey said...

Ooo. That looks VERY good and I'm not really an 'identifiable pieces of onion' kind of eater. I have a cookbook, my favorite, called "Desperation Dinners" which gives recipes using whole foods that can be prepared in 20 min. (slightly longer if you have to thaw something). This book made me love cooking again and was so easy to follow that it made me interested in tackling more complicated recipes again. I'll trade you a perusal of that book for the recipe for the dish you just posted. :D