Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Missing My Little Peanut...

This has been a long week already. My parents will tell you that I am calling them numerous times a day, just to check up on her. I just want to know what she is doing, how she is eating, if she is playing nice, if she slept well, is she being respectful, is she having fun.... yadda, yadda, yadda! I am so use to having my little shadow with me, that it is REALLY weird having her gone. It constantly feels like something is missing. Last night after hearing her little voice on the phone telling us everything she was doing and she sounded so grown up....I wanted to get in the car and drive to get her....just to hug her and squeeze her!
Now...don't get me wrong...there have been benefits to this week.
Having time alone with Kaydree feels more like girls day out, girls night out, then it does being a constant mother. I haven't had to break up one fight or send anyone to time out. Kaydree is so much more independent. She gets her own breakfast, she does her own hair, she sits down to read on her own, she puts in movies on her own, she practices piano, goes to jump on the trampoline, plays with neighborhood friends for hours, she dresses herself without me having to re-dress her in something appropriate (Karsyn loves to wear mixed matched layers upon layers clothing), she makes her bed and mine without having to be asked. I know...right? I don't ask her to make my bed.... she has been making my bed and helping with laundry just so that we can get out of the house sooner in the morning, as she puts it!
Monday..
Kaydree and I had a picnic in the park and then went to the outdoor pool. Then her and Benjy went shopping for me. Then they went and rented movies and got ice cream while I had time to read, alone...
Tuesday..
Kaydree brought a friend to playgroup and then played most of the day with her.
Wednesday...
We are suppose to go to the lake, not sure if we will venture that way or not?
My visiting teachers are coming over this afternoon and tomorrow I am going visiting teaching. (A little easier with one child who sits nicely and listens without a sibling to "mess around with."
I really love this time that my girls get to bond with their cousins and Grandpa and Grandma and they really look forward to it, but it has me wondering what "empty nesting" really feels like?

5 comments:

Serena said...

I can tell just how much you love your girls. I am sure Kaydree is really enjoying time alone with Mom and Dad. Enjoy your week!!

Emily said...

So I must be a bad mother because I am thoroughly enjoying Nicholas's vacation with Grandma and Grandpa. I almost forgot to call yesterday to check on him once let alone numerous times. He doesn't like the phone so our conversations are not as interesting as yours with Karsyn. Wow, can that girl chit-chat? I heard that Nicholas decided to use Karsyn's toothbrush last night and she freaked out. I am sure Nicholas has used it before since he usually just grabs whichever one is closest. I try to explain to him that he can't do that but he says he doesn't care. He must think others don't mind than either. The swim meets and ball games have been very relaxing and I am saving a ton of money from not having to use the concession stands all night to keep him bribed and semi-entertained. We'll be ready to get him back by Friday, I am sure.

Clint said...

Empty nesting will be hard for you because you have to deal with Benjy 24/7..... :)

Kathy Koch said...

Both the kids are doing very well. Karsyn had a little melt down tonight but I found out why and I think she is just tired. We had to wake both her and Nick up this morning to go do Grandma's hair and I am sure going to bed a little earlier tonight will be just what they need. I am amazed how well they have done so far and we have throughly enjoyed them both...

Brenda said...

Yes, that's what it's like when someone leaves the nest. You constantly look around for another person who isn't there. But you get used to it.