Monday, December 6, 2010

It's a Lefse and Belgium Cookie Festival..

After enjoying Kumla Day, Randy and Janel opened up their home for more family traditions.

My brother, Spencer, has perfected lefse making, so he did some of the mixing. We used around 70 pounds of potatoes, a lot of butter and flour.
Karen rolled a lot of balls,
We all rolled them out,
and rolled
and rolled,
and rolled,
and then we flipped,
and flipped,
and flipped,
and rolled and flipped,
and then folded.
My mom and Glenn worked on Belgium cookies.
They also rolled, and pressed,
for a finished product that Glenn doesn't even like because he thinks they taste like fortune cookies. I never thought of it before but now that is all I taste when I eat them.
Some people were sneaking cookies before they were suppose to.
Then the massive clean up.
So we could all enjoy the finished product together.
Lefse
and Belgium Cookies.
I love the tradition of making lefse and Beligim Cookies, and I love that my children will someday have these memories, however it is being with family that makes it a tradition that I treasure.
My Auntie Karen. I love her even though she put flour on my shoulder!

7 comments:

Clint said...

That looks like a blast. My family is getting together to make candy. It's the second year for this tradition. I guess you have to start somewhere.

The "Serene" Life said...

Who wears black when they are working with Flour? :)

Kristen said...

Good point, Becky! LOL. Clint Can I expect to see your candy traditions blogged then? We would enjoy seeing pictures! :)

Kathy Koch said...

It was alot of fun and you are right the food is wonderful but getting together with family is the best part of it all.
It was especially exciting to see the younger generation getting involved and learning how to roll and flip...So many happy moments...

Laurel Criddle said...

That is such a neat thing to do! I love how your family cooks together like that and gets the kids involved. Looks good to me! BTW, you look hot in that picture!! Gettin ready for Hawaii?! :D

Sissy Jackson said...

How fun friend!

Danny and Shalayne said...

I love that you carry on these traditions. It really is remarkable and your children will always remember it.