Thursday, November 5, 2009

Kyce's Birth

On Wednesday, I blogged about the calm before the storm in the morning. Little did I know then just how turbulant and exuberant our lives were about to come. The rollercoaster of life's ups and downs was nearing a huge mountain.
I felt incredible anxiety waking up with sick girls knowing that we might have been exposed to H1N1 and I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with a doctor planned c-section in order to avoid the chance of a ruptured uterine wall.
After many prayers and finally feeling peaceful and calm I took the girls to the doctor where he put into words, "I wouldn't normally treat your family, however with a birth of a baby a week a way, we are going to overkill this one and just be safe." I got a prescription from my ob/gyn for tamiflu and the girls each got one also.
In the stress of the moment worrying about my sick little peanuts and my little peanut on the way I started seeking out the girls' tamiflu, which most pharmacies seemed to be out of due to a back order. After hours we found a Walgreens that would have it ready in a couple of hours.
While sitting at the doctor's office I could feel the stress building and I started contracting pretty strongly, which has happened off and on throughout all of my pregnancies. I find once I relax, drink a ton of water and just lay down, they usually go away. However when we got home I did the normal steps and found that the contractions were getting closer together and very strong throughout my back and not just the normal tightening.
So after some tears and fighting with my stubborn self that kept saying, "I am not going to have this baby before 36 weeks." I asked Benjy what he thought I should do and he asked me, "Are you afraid of dying?" My response was, "No, but I am afraid to lose this little one." He said, "There you go, there is your answer, if you rupture, he doesn't have a chance." That was enough to get me to make the trip to the dreaded labor and deliver, in hopes that they would buy us both at least another week to the scheduled c-section.
Upon arriving, they put me into a back room with a mask (noted in the computer, H1N1 exposure) and hooked me up to the monitors and saw that the contractions taking place were very regular, about every 5 minutes, my blood pressures were coming in at 190/88-90, the babies heart rate took a big long dip and so they kept telling me for two hours...we are going to test this and that and hook you up to an IV in hopes to slow the contractions and buy you some more time. They didn't want to give me a shot of turbutaline to stop it because they didn't like the way my contrations were coming down. (words that were told to me 5 years ago with Karsyn) Benjy stayed with the girls, because who were we going to ask to subject themselves to possible exposure to H1N1, plus Benjy was waiting to be able to go the drive-thru with sick kiddos at Walgreens to get their tamiflu. We didn't want to subject anyone else to this unless absolutely necessary.
I kept asking them for 2 hours, "Should I call my husband?" They kept reassuring me that they were just watching me to see what would happend and that they would let me know.
All of the sudden, in what seems like a blur right now, the doctor came in and informed me that he didn't like the way things were looking and that we couldn't let this go any longer and that we were going to do a c-section. I was invisioning myself getting up and walking out and saying, "Nope, I'll see you next week because I AM NOT HAVING THIS BABY BEFORE 36 WEEKS!" However... I thought, "If I walk out of this hospital and I rupture, I would never forgive myself." So I said, "okay, when? I will call my husband." He said, "NOW. We are doing the c-section now." In walks an anesthesiologist, a nurse anesthetist, someone with a lot of papers, a couple of nurses and someone to draw more blood. As I am on the phone calling Benjy telling him, "you have to get here now," the nurse says, "we can't wait for him, do you have a camera, I can take pictures, we are here for you."
AHHHHHH .... slow down, way too fast. I am not having this baby without my husband here...
So Benjy thought I was kind of kidding and wasn't really sensing the panic in my voice until I hung up on him so that they could start prepping me to leave for the surgery.
Thank goodness, thank goodness for friends like JoDell and others who willingly told us to call, no matter what! Benjy called her and she ran out the door maybe in her slippers and was at our house within minutes because her mom, Judy, was already there to keep her children. She gave Benjy some quick tips on how to get here fast and how to park and RUN... (which I still get teary eyed to think that JoDell herself has a 2 year old with asthma and a 4 month old baby to worry about getting H1N1 and yet she came without hesitation)
The whole team waited about 5 minutes and said," we have to move for the sake of this baby, when your husband gets here, we will bring him in."
As they finished giving me the spinal tap, in walked Benjy and instantly I knew everything would be okay!
He grabbed my shaking hand, kissed me and said, "I love you and don't worry...it is going to be okay." Now...after what seemed like forever... out came baby Kyce at a whopping 6 pounds 8.6 ounces and screaming his head off, just like his sisters.

Benjy said, "no gorey pictures." I think these are beautiful.


A little of Kaydree, a little of Karsyn and a whole lot of hair!

Just as I felt a sigh of relief that he looked and sounded good, they told me that he would still be an automatic admittance into the level 2 nursery because he was shy of 36 weeks by 2 days and that coupled with the possible exposure to H1N1 in our house. Little did I know that my world was about to come crashing down...more to come. (Don't worry everything is a-okay now.)

25 comments:

Samantha Hussong said...

Beautiful Baby Kris and Benjy. The fact that your friends are willing to help you so willingly is because you guys would do the same thing to help people out and have. I'm glad you decided on Kyce and that everything is going okay. Love Ya

Angie said...

Soooo glad you are all right, that the wise doctor knew when to act, that Benjy made it to the hospital, that help was there when you needed it (isn't that always true?), and especially that Kyce is already such a big strong boy. Miracles all around.

Nicole said...

Congratulations! He's precious. I'm glad Benjy made it and he's doing well. It's nice that c-sections don't take too much time, otherwise that would have been a long time to be stressed.

Chris said...

Kris & Benjy,
Kyce is so adorable. Lots of hair and such a big boy. One day (far from now) this will be the story you can tell him at bed each night as you say your prayers and are thankful for a beautiful family.
Congrats!
Chad & Chris

The Seaman Family said...

Congrats he is adorable and what a blessing. I am so glad that things have calmed and that he is getting better and stronger day by day! It all worked out the way that it needed too. And I would do it all over again without thinking twice. That's what friends are for and like Sam said you'd do the same thing. We can't wait to see him.
Ps. Yep, I had slippers on and I was nice and cozy there too!

Serena said...

Congratulations! What a beautiful baby!! Glad to hear that Benjy made it in time for the c-section.

shantel said...

Congrats!

I'm glad everything is okay and that your hubby was at your side.

We can't wait to meet that little guy.

Crystal said...

Wow! What a roller coaster ride! I'm thrilled that he is safe and big for under 36 weeks. We love your family and hope your girls are feeling better soon, so they can see their new little brother. Kyce is beautiful! So glad Benjy was able to make it to the hospital.

Unknown said...

Wow, that is quite a story, anxious to hear the rest of it. I held my breath while reading that they were going to start without Benjy and cried my head off. Glad he made it in time and that everything is ok now. Can't wait to meet him when my cold is gone.

The "Serene" Life said...

He is perfect......just perfect....can't wait to meet him in person. Congratulations on your little boy!!! We've created a tongue twister with Kyah, Kaysie and Kyce!!!!!

Virginia said...

How adorable!

Laurel Criddle said...

I loved this post! Great details for me to read! I'm so so so so happy that everything worked out. He is absolutely beautiful! So precious! I can't believe he is here already. can't wait to see more and more of this little one. Congrats again and we love you guys! Family of 5! I'm so happy you have great friends there.

Linda said...

WE are so thankful that all is OK. What a beautiful baby! Life is sure full of roller-coaster rides! Hope everyone keeps getting better!

Schreurs said...

Wow.. Kris what a rollercoaster, but what a Miracle! I am so glad that Benjy was able to get there to see little Kyce enter this world and oh my goodness what a handsome young man! I can't wait to hear more about him and see more photos! I sure hope that you are doing ok and that the girls are doing ok as well w/ the H1N1 exposure! Take care and SMILE, your family is beautiful! You are blessed!

Linz said...

Seriously, he is a gorgeous baby. Look at that hair. And you and Benjy look so great too. I can't wait to see you all again. We have been thinking about you A LOT. Violet had me draw a picture the other day of her has a princess, Daphne as a unicorn, me as a queen, and she wanted two princes: Daddy and Benjy. So cute. She has been praying for you too. I have been wondering if you have had any pizza yet or if you are waiting for when you come home. Love you guys! Kyce is going to rock this world!

Anna Stoelting Dailey said...

He's beautiful! I'm SO glad he's doing well and you are too. Hope the girls are managing their fevers well and making strong recoveries. Thanks for keeping us posted!

Kathy Koch said...

After such a heart wrenching day at the end of the day all is well and he is healthy and so handsome and boy does he look like a boy.

Thanks to all who helped the kids out until we could get there we truly appreciate your kindness and will be forever grateful.

Becki D said...

Congratulations! So glad everything worked out okay and Benjy was able to get to the hospital.

Danny and Shalayne said...

Congrats!!! He is so beautiful!!!! I am so glad Benjy was able to make it and that everything went fairly well!! We can't wait to meet him one day (hopefully soon!) We love you guys!!!

Ashton & Co. said...

OH my goodness! Congratulations! I am so glad to see that he got here okay and that mother and baby are doing okay!? I hope all is well. He looks so precious- so new. Congrats and you will be in our prayers. I am SOOO glad Benjy made it. The baby was so big, too! Yeah!!! P.S. Your friend sounds fantastic and I hope your girls are feeling better now, too. Cute name!

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!! I am so glad that everything turned out okay, that must have been so scary. He is adorable! I'm glad that you are both doing well.

Hermana Whitehead said...

Wow! What a story! I got teary-eyed and so anxious reading about your experience. I love your strong testimony in the power of prayer and know that you are being blessed and watched over. You have a wonderful husband and family. Thanks for sharing this special day. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Thanks for the heads up that whatever happened next turned out okay. We care so much about you all.

Madyun9 said...

Oh, my..such a beautiful boy. To add to a beautiful family...So glad you are all healthy.
Mad Love.Madyun9

Lisa Guillory-Buckle said...

Oh my goodness, what a cutie!!! I'm slowly reading through your blog, Kristen. I am glad that things are ok now. Sounds like you are all home now. I know this is not the way you wanted things to go, but as time passes, the memories (both good and bad) WILL dull. Someday soon, you'll be looking at your boy running around the house and be saying it seemed like yesterday...
So good that your husband go to be there with you. Wow, what a blessing, huh? Remember that these times that are stressful can be seen as tools to be drawing you closer together in your relationship. Hopefully you can both look back at this as a special time that you got to share in together and then see how you've grown.
God bless you and your family, and have a great holiday season with your 3 sweet gifts!

Rachel said...

Congratulations on Kyce. He is beautiful! You are amazing and thanks for sharing your birthing experience.