Monday, September 28, 2009

An On-going Domestic Dispute

The other night Benjy and I sat watching the show, Hoarders. He said to me, "Isn't it funny how, here we sit after 10 years of marriage, with another little one on the way, the girls are in bed and we are excited to watch a show about people hoarding." When we first started watching the show, I could see the anxiety building in Benjy as he watched it. Benjy's first priority with keeping a clean house is, "his floors," as he calls them. Second on his list would be the elimination of clutter. He considers most things to be clutter, decorations that sit around, especially. Benjy called me last week and said that he felt like a psychologist with one of his clients that he had been working with for a year. He said, "It just dawned on me after watching hoarders, that this person was a hoarder. So I used some of the logic that we have watched on hoarders and I think that it helped." Sometimes as we watch the show we enjoy bantering back and forth about which one of us is more of a hoarder. Then we would start naming the things that the other hoarded. He thinks I hoard paper work and junk mail that needs to be sorted through. I called him the t-shirt hoarder until today....I have decided I get to add another item to his list....TIES!
For years we struggle with what I call the, "TIE ISSUE." Benjy likes to leave his ties, tied so that he can just slip them on, without having to tie them every time. Which is fine for a little while, however what happens, which drives me crazy is, the tie starts to turn over. So I am constantly flipping his tie back around. I also think the top starts looking very thin, the knot too small and too tight. He also seems to have a hard time getting to his ties because they start to stack on top of each other. (see above picture, right?) So about every couple of months, I untie them, iron them and hang them in a color coordinated way. Benjy is not happy and definitely doesn't feel very thankful that his sweet little wife does this for him. ;-)So why did I feel the need to do this process of reorganizing and ironing this morning? On Saturday I was running to look for a dress for Kaydree, so I asked Benjy, "Do you need anything, like jeans?" He of course said, "I need some ties." Now... a little background. Whenever my family asks him what he would like for Christmas or for his Birthday, his reply always is, "dress shirts and ties." So on Saturday I went into the closet and said, "I don't think you need anymore ties, you just can't see half of your ties, how about some jeans, you only wear 2 pairs of jeans." He then must have gotten hurt feelings because when I called him from the store to see exactly what size neck I should get he informed me that he didn't NEED anymore ties. (Sarcastically)
Now Benjy is someone who really doesn't ever spend money... on himself, hobbies, clothes or anything, so I felt kind of bad that I reacted to his need for a new tie. So I bought him one which I am not sure he likes... however he just hit his 35th tie in his little collection. Maybe after he reads this blog, he will have time to adjust to the straightening of this little collection before he gets home tonight?
P.S. I turned on the comment section just for you, Dear, in case you felt the need to have a rebuttal to this post? Keep in mind that I love you!

15 comments:

Serena said...

Good luck with the ties. Audrey always got on Clint's case because he wore the same tie a lot. Benjy wears ties more than most people, so I can understand why he would want something new.

Did you see the episode of the lady who couldn't part with the rotten pumpkin??

Kristen said...

Yes... I almost gagged to the point of throwing up. Did you see her trying to dig the seeds out of it, as they were carrying it out?? Or the rotting meat that dripped into her veggie drawer and she still wanted to keep the stuff it dripped on???

The "Serene" Life said...

I think Benji needs 35 ties....that way if he ever forgets how old you will be on your next birthday he can just go in his closet and count ties......................hee hee.

aren't you glad you turned your comments on?

Benjy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Benjy said...

First, let me preface this by saying I love my dear wife. Now let’s get to the nitty gritty...

1. On average I wear a dress shirt and tie four to five times per week thus necessitating the need for 35+ ties.

2. Well over half of said ties are over 5 years old and should just be thrown away as they clutter my good ties.

3. Once I get the right length for my tie I see no need to take chances the next time that I wear the tie so I never untie them.

4. I am not a hoarder by any stretch of the imagination. In fact I throw crap away all the time (and sometimes regret it) just to make space. Perfect example would be the nearly two load of un-matched socks that sit around which I have tried to throw away. To no avail, Kristen rescues the un-matched socks and says "oh I just saw the match downstairs." I'm all for starting over with new same colored socks so that I never have to match a dress sock again.

5. While the photo of my ties is evidence that I may have a few too many, what Kristen failed to do was zoom out with the camera and photograph the 5-7 Wal-Mart bags that serve as "file" cabinets until she "files" them. Some of the receipts are years old...but "are important." I can’t understand the need to hang on to old papers. I've tried to learn from the Hoarders show why people do that but still cant make much sense of it. All I know is that when we watch it my wifey gets defensive when I ask her if she sympathizes with the hoarders :)

6. Oh yeah, just because you say your going to have a garage sale does not mean you get to store it for years....

7. Can't wait to watch hoarders tonight.

Benjy

September 28, 2009 10:31 AM

Kristen said...

For the record they are Target bags...not Walmart. And for you honey, I did throw two of them away this morning in order to get to your ties!

Crystal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Crystal said...

Kris you are awesome! Benjy too!

Samantha Hussong said...

Kris there is a machine i seen the other day that will copy your receipts and organize them. Benjy - Santa will be coming soon so we could put in a request to him.

Benjy said...

Yeah, I saw it too. It's called a trash can.... :)

Brenda said...

Hi, My name is Brenda, and I'm a hoarder.
I haven't seen that show, but I'm going to look it up on Hulu, maybe it will help.
My husband doesn't like to untie his ties either and it drives me a bit crazy for the same reasons,Kris. But he only wears a tie once a week. He wears overalls to work. Don't hate me.

I'm also a marriage and family therapist, so here's a freebie, Kris. Leave the ties alone, when his tie looks weird, it's his responsibility.
Benji, pregnant women get a little
OCD. Go along with it. Maybe she could find an alternate storage space for papers instead of in front of your ties.
I'm also guilty of saving mismatched socks. Agree to what a critical mass is and then throw them out or play the sock matching game first. For FHE we sit around the table and sort socks. If you get a match, you get an M&M. Pretty soon we're all snarfing M&M's, we have a reasonable amount of new matched socks and everyone is happy.
Yes, we are a strange family.

Laurel Criddle said...

Yay! the internet is working so I can post! This makes me laugh out loud. benj, sometimes I think I need pills for how OCD I get. No really....haha I am OCD about germs and sickness mostly although clutter REALLY drives me batty. Sometimes I look around and if I really absorb all the junk around me (tiny apartment...can't help but be surrounded) I start to have a panic attack. Seriously! I see your point with the ties. Kevin has A LOT of ties and dress shirts too. I watched hoarders and it is pretty nasty. Being in such a tiny space really is getting to me! I really have to keep to the rule of each time I buy something, I have to throw something out. Clothes and shoes is the worst because I know I'll wear those shoes again someday! even if it is a year from now! :)

Kathy Koch said...

I am sure glad in this household I am not the hoarder.....
I think we all have our little collections or some of us have more than one so it is nice to move things out once in a while it really does feel good when you are all done

Hermana Whitehead said...

You kids are hilarious! Aren't we all a little bit hoarders in one way or another? I need to throw out quite a bit. Good for you for decluttering.

The Seaman Family said...

Ties...well have you seen John's closet?? He has two tie racks because he has so many!! But I buy most of them...so am I to blame?? But they do wear them 6 out of the seven days of the week so I guess they need a change right?? Hmmm sorry I am not much help.