Thursday, March 11, 2010

A Split Decision

So some of you wanted to know what the doctor said, well... he said any where between 4-6 months was fine to start feeding cereal... ONLY! Not to put it into a bottle (choking hazard) but on a spoon and make it really runny. He did say he wanted us to start before 6 months but no sooner then 4. He said the extra iron is great for breastfed babies. He told us that he has seen extremely anemic breastfed babies that have been held off too long (10 months) before starting rice cereal. I wanted to hold off until 5 months, but Benjy just couldn't do it. I have to say that by the 2nd feeding, Benjy couldn't get it in fast enough. The first time it was a little too thick and the next time he gulped it down. I am still nervous about it. After reading about the connection between with food allergies and gluten intolerance, I really wanted to make sure his little intestines and immune system were ready. Our doctor who is very experienced...20 plus years said...it was okay to start. So I am crossing my fingers and Benjy and the girls are having a blast.






7 comments:

The "Serene" Life said...

Thats great....love the video! I plan to start Kaysie on some cereal soon...I think she is getting ready :)

The Miller Family said...

Oh man! Check out that smile! What a cutie!

We've been holding Savannah off as long as possible, but she looks at our food and literally cries for it, bless her heart! Off to the store tonight to get some rice cereal! Hope she loves it the way Kyce does!

shantel said...

I think he was more than ready!!

Loving his smile.:)

Serena said...

I think Kyce is happy he is getting cereal. I had to laugh, Rylan has a onesie that is just like Kyce's bib. Cute pictures!!

Laurel Criddle said...

Wow,....he is growing up TOO fast! I can't believe how big he is and how he is eating already! Craziness! I can't wait to snuggle that kid!

Danny and Shalayne said...

so adorable! Ada basically inhaled it too!

Just some food for thought...all the most recent, thorough & extensive studies on food allergies are showing that early exposure to food equals less of a chance of food allergies. There are some caveats to that, but I wouldn't worry too much about it!

Ashton & Co. said...

I love when my babies will finally eat food! It makes me feel good knowing EXACTLy how much they are getting in their tummies. With nursing you just never know for sure. He sure is growing up! :")