Friday, May 14, 2010

An Unbelievable Story!

Do these things happen to other people, or is it just me?!?
Last night I had a Relief Society Stake Training and I didn't think I was going to attend because the girls both had soccer games at the same time in towns 30 minutes apart. Benjy and I were going to have to split up with the girls. He offered to take Kyce and stay in town with Karsyn, so I was really excited to have some alone time with Kaydree. Our plans changed at the last minute when Karsyn's game got cancelled. I decided to attend the training probably not with the best attitude. I also thought, I am leaving after an hour of this meeting because I knew Kyce would be fussy and ready for bed. Ha Ha, little did I know! It was rainy and cold and I dug out my jean skirt (which I can now fit back into) and a brown tweed blazer. I thought about which brown shoes to wear. Let's just say I made the WRONG choice! I wanted to wear my flip flops but after Elder M. Russell Ballard spoke about flip flops at the last General Conference, I decided that they weren't the best choice...I thought about my other brown sandals (too cold for exposed toes) and my other brown ones seemed to dressy for a jean skirt so... I went with an older pair of clogs that I haven't worn in over a year due to the pregnancy...
the ESPRIT clogs (suppose to be a decent brand) didn't look so beat up when I put them on. That is the part of this incredibly EMBARRASSING story!

As I am sitting in the meeting I look at the floor and see all this black stuff on the ground and think, "What the heck is all that black stuff?" I then realize that it is only all around ME!
I look down and realize that my shoe is literally DISINTEGRATING! Are you kidding me? So I lean over to my sweet friend and tell her. She is so kind and offers to go to my car and see if I have an extra pair of shoes in it, which I normally have a pair of flip flops or tennis shoes for the gym... but no... my kind husband likes to randomly clean out my car and I knew he had taken them out for our trip to my parent's house last weekend! This sweet sister then offered me her shoes to wear! That alone made me feel like crying. The fact that someone could be so sweet and thoughtful! I wanted to leave right then and there and go home! How could I walk out of there bare foot or without my entire shoe falling apart or worse yet leaving a trail of black junk? The meeting was 2 hours long and this was about half way into it, so I decided to make a run for Fleet Farm down the street to buy some cheap flip flops. (I think Elder Ballard would understand!)

All I kept thinking was, "please let this shoe hold until I get to the shoe department." Well, no such luck, as I was walking in, the entire chunky heel goes flying off and I had to walk through the store lopsided with one heel on and one heel off! At this point I started laughing, all I could do was laugh to the point of almost crying, I was laughing so hard. (My mom always tells me that it's a great quality, to be able to laugh at yourself!) I was building character as she would say!

I grabbed a pair of cheap flip flops payed for them and put them as soon as the cashier handed them back to me. Oh, it felt so good to be wearing a pair of shoes that weren't falling apart.
Here is what the bottom looked like before it was all said and done.

I went back to the meeting despite my desire to just go home, mainly because I knew I needed to vaccum up my mess! I think there is a reason why this all happened, even if I can't explain it scientifically how this happened. I didn't have the right attitude about going and I needed to be there until the end of the meeting. Not only did I need to hear that part of the training but I had a little reminder that our HEAVENLY FATHER IS AWARE OF US AND SOMETIMES HAS A SENSE OF HUMOR, TOO!
There were about 30-40 of us there and only a couple of door prizes given out at the end of the meeting. I think I had a feeling that my name was going to be called after a night like that. I won this beautiful gerbera daisy, vacuumed up my mess and headed home to share my story with my husband ,who can't believe I am not too embarrassed to blog about this!

4 comments:

Kathy Koch said...

You are right it builds character and thank heaven you could look at this as quite an experience instead of sitting down and crying with embarrassment I honestly do not know if I would have had your great attitude but alls well that ends well....
I cannot believe how bad those shoes looked who would have thought something like that would happen..
Thanks for blogging and giving us a laugh not at you but with you....

The "Serene" Life said...

When I feel like laughing at myself I go golfing......I'm so bad all I can do is laugh! Great Story Kris!

Linz said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is so stinkin' hilarious!!!! Oh my gosh!!!!

And dang girl, you sure do own a lot of brown shoes.

Oh, and heck yeah you can fit into your jean skirt. You are lookin' great these days!!!

Danny and Shalayne said...

Kristen that is hilarious and so sad!!! I am glad you can laugh at it though because it really does make a good story!