Sunday, November 14, 2010

Feeding

For a Stake Relief Society, (Women's Group at Church) service project, we went to Feed My Starving Children in Coon Rapids.

We had a jam packed weekend so I kept thinking I wouldn't be able to fit it all in but I couldn't shake the "feeling," that I needed to go.

I had wanted to go many times in the past however it seems like there were always reasons that it just didn't work out. I have to admit it was a lot of fun and we will be going here soon as a family. I really want the girls to have this experience and understand the things that we take for granted, like food.
I just cried when they shared some stories of some of the children that are thriving now that they are receiving meals from Feed My Starving Children. Now I find myself visualizing this picture of a 6 year old boy weighing 19 pounds when I start worrying about my own children being under weight. I realize how much I shouldn't be worrying. It was an unbelievable experience that I needed to have. Often I find that service projects really FEED our spiritual needs as well as someone else's physical/temporal needs.

5 comments:

Luann said...

So true glad yo hear you were able to feed your soul and children!

Kathy Koch said...

We have done a few projects that also were very rewarding.
As you said it sometimes is so easy to just put it off but once you have the experience you are so happy you were able to make the time...

shantel said...

Man, I really missed the boat on that one! I will be taking my kiddos as well, that picture breaks my heart.

Danny and Shalayne said...

oh that kills me! I take so much for granted!!

Linz said...

So glad you guys could do it. I really wanted to go. You guys are so cute in your hairnets. Thanks for being such a great example to me!