Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Kumla....A Norwegian Family Tradition

This last weekend we were able to go home and celebrate the upcoming birth of my Cousin Terri, and her husband, Chris' little baby boy and then we had a Kumla feed at my cousin Randy and his wife, Janel's, house.
Kumla, what is it and where do I begin? It is our Norwegian (Larsen) family tradition. I can remember going to kumla dinners from the time I was very little. We have tried to do it every couple of years. My Grandma has always been the supervisor and now my brother, Spencer, has mastered the dish. He wasn't able to make it home this weekend, so more of us had to chip in and help. I think we all enjoyed it and were glad to learn how to keep this family tradition going.
Usually the day before you boil a bone in ham for 4-5 hours. Keep the ham stock.
You peel a lot of RED, have to be RED potatoes and cut them in half.
Set up a meat grinder in a place that you don't mind dripping potato juice on the floor. The men did this out in the garage.
Benjy and some others that have married into this family don't particularly like kumla, but they so graciously help in the process so the rest of us can enjoy it.
I love this picture of Benjy and my Uncle Roger, working together. Also my sweet husband's wedding ring that reminds him, "for better or for worse." He told me that he would give kumla, one more try even though he did not care for it the first and second times that he tried it.

It was such a neat experience to see everyone watching and really trying to figure out the right consistency of the potato, flour and salt mixture. My grandma was there to make sure we had done it, just right.

My mom showed us how to make the first couple of potato balls with the ham in the middle.

My Aunt Judy and I don't really like cooking, but we tried to mix a batch together.My mom jumped in to give us support.

So I thought I would step away, and didn't get very far before I got called back....

A family that works together....stays together. Or is it...A family that eats together stays together? I am not sure, but I just loved watching everyone pitch in.After you have the kumla balls made up, you boil them until they float, about 20 minutes?
There is always a hot dish for those who don't like kumla.
Randy and Janel have an awesome Theater room, so the kids hung out and watched movies, and waited patiently for the feast to begin.

I have to say, that I am so proud of Benjy. He did eat hot dish and then tried kumla for the 3rd time and guess what.... the 3rd times a charm. He actually said, "I really liked it this time after I lathered it with a cube of butter and a tablespoon of salt!"

6 comments:

Audrey said...

That is a LOT of cooks (or should I say Koch's...bad I know) in the kitchen! I've never heard of these but now I am totally intrigued.

Kathy Koch said...

Oh my gosh I enjoyed this blog so much It brought tears to my eyes WHat a great family we have and I am so proud of the fact that we still enjoy one another I feel family traditions are so important
I hope everyone in the family gets a chance to enjoy this Your grandpa would be so proud Family was everything to him and he would have been sitting back enjoying this so much teasing us making us laugh. Thank you for getting all these great pictures and sharing what was a wonderful day...

Linz said...

Wow. This is incredible. I don't have any traditions like this that I know of that really go back to my roots. It's amazing how everyone comes together to do it. I can see why it's so special to you all. I'm glad you got it documented so well.

shantel said...

Sounds like an interesting dish. Loved seeing all the family pics, what a great tradition!

The Seaman Family said...

I love reading your blog and seeing all the family traditions that you guys have and how much fun you all have doing it! Hard work pays off and this is such a neat thing that you guys can pass on from generation to generation. I love that your Grandma was there helping to. She is such a sweet lady and I am sure this day a long with many others brings such joy to her life to see her kids, grandkids and great grandkids all together! What a fun time!

Danny and Shalayne said...

That is such a fun tradition and I love that it takes everyone pitching it. I'm sure that makes it all the better! Looks fun.